With snowfall comes the opportunity for skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling and snow-shoeing. In order to have the best time possible, snow enthusiasts must stay safe and be courteous to other recreationists. Whether you’re hitting the slopes or exploring the backcountry, follow Tread Lightly!’s new “Sharing Our Snow” tips.
- When traveling on shared multi-use trails, continually keep an eye out for other backcountry users.
- Give wildlife plenty of space. If your presence around them changes their behavior, you are likely too close.
- Stay to the right, and pass on the left. Always look before changing positions on the trail. Anticipate other users around corners and in blind spots.
- Watch and listen for others. Learn and use appropriate hand signals. Other users, especially snowmobilers, often cannot hear voices.
- Always check local avalanche conditions before you venture out by visiting www.avalanche.org or calling your local avalanche forecast center.