Greetings from the Trail
As I was out snowshoeing in the mountains this past weekend, during one of my many breaks from shoeing through the fresh powder, I was able to observe all different forms of recreation. I was on snowshoes, but others were on snowmobiles and others were on cross country skis. I was able to see a variety of users in one area sharing the mountain and the fresh snow without a single incident or harsh word. In fact I was able to get to know quite a few others in the area while I was sitting on a rock or log catching my breath. Most of the folks were happy to stop and chat, and share a hot beverage, or even offer this poor out of shape snowshoer a ride back to my Jeep. Winter brings so many opportunities for recreation; here are some tips to keep you and everyone out there safe and happy:
• Comply with signs and respect barriers. Avoid traveling in potential avalanche areas. Use terrain to your advantage, avoiding steep slopes, cornices and gullies or depressions. Periodically check for clues to an unstable snowpack. Remember, one person at a time on slopes.
• Travel only in areas designated for your type of winter travel. This is especially important when sharing the area with other types of users.
• Respect established ski tracks. If traveling by foot or snowshoe, don’t damage existing ski tracks.
• When stopping, step to the side of the trail to let other skiers and recreationists pass.
• Obtain a map of your destination and determine which areas are open to winter travel.
• If crossing private property, ask permission from the landowner(s). Fences are often buried in the winter or are hard to see.
• Allow plenty of time for the return trip. It’s no fun to get lost in the dark.
• Always go prepared with the proper gear for the season and conditions
• Be safe and have fun out there.
- June 2015
- May 2015
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- Thank you to @RanchoShocks for their continued support and for renewing their Official Partnership! #TreadLightly https://t.co/CYVDKAJ6uk 19 hours ago
- RT @CoconinoNF: Never, Ever, have fireworks in the Forest or other public lands! https://t.co/VPF3UW0z3T 21 hours ago
- When you're on the trail, remember to Respect the Rights of Others: Always leave gates as you find them. If crossin… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 21 hours ago
- RT @BLMUtah: Utah has already tallied 295 wildland fires this year. What's more alarming is that 269 of these are HUMAN caused. That's ov… 21 hours ago
- A reminder to our followers in #Ohio and #Michigan! Join the TL! team twitter.com/tread_lightly/… 3 days ago